Iowa is divided into 5 tourism areas. Each area offers a different vibe for the state. Plan your trip to stay in one area or travel across the entire state.
Lakes & Lands
- Indulging in ice cream is a must, and for the ultimate treat, explore the Wells Blue Bunny Visitor Center and Ice Cream Parlor in LeMars, hailed as the “Ice Cream Capitol of the World.”
- Historic Arnolds Park, one of the world’s oldest amusement parks, offers timeless classics as well as modern thrills ensuring an exhilarating experience for visitors of all ages.
- Marvel at Iowa’s largest mural, the Grain Silo Mural in Fort Dodge, towering at 110 feet and encircling the silos entirely.
- The Field of Dreams Movie Site in Dyersville, a farm with a baseball diamond at heart, stands as the most magical place on
dirt – “go the distance.”
- Charles City proudly hosts Iowa’s first whitewater park, inviting you to experience the thrill of river surfing, tubing or kayaking.
- Indulge in the unique “Pizza Farm” experience at Luna Valley Farms in Decorah, where wood-fired pizzas allow you to savor ingredients grown on the farm or from neighboring veggie farmers.
- Zombie Burger in Des Moines is a renowned GOREmet eatery featuring creative flavor mashups.
- In Knoxville, make a pit stop at the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame or catch a race at the Knoxville Speedway, then rev things up at Slideways.
- Explore Indianola’s gems of the National Balloon Classic and National Balloon Museum, which curates more than two centuries of ballooning.
Loess Hills & Beyond
- In Council Bluffs, “Go Bobbing” across the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge to straddle Nebraska and Iowa simultaneously.
- Explore the premier archeological collection at the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge of over 250,000 artifacts excavated from the
- Plus, don’t miss touring escape proof Squirrel Cage Jail with its 30 rotating pie-shaped cells.
Storied & Scenic
- Maquoketa Caves in Maquoketa stands out as an outdoor haven, with trails and stunning scenic views.
- Explore the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library & Museum, showcasing the life and legacy of Herbert Hoover, complete with his
birthplace cottage and rotating exhibits on American history.
- In Iowa City, catch the energy of an Iowa Hawkeye football game at the historic Kinnick Stadium, and join in the heartwarming “Wave” tradition after the first quarter of every home game.